Diode lasers have continued to grow in popularity in dentistry over the last decade and have proven their worth as an invaluable clinical tool. There are a number of products on the market already, some in their second or third generation, yet the choice is not limitless.
Well-known clinical innovator, Ultradent Products Inc., based in Utah, USA, has now introduced its own contender in the soft tissue laser market. Ultradent's new Gemini 810 + 980 diode laser ticks all the boxes and then some with dual wavelengths (810nm and 980 nm) for maximum versatility, WOW-factor electroluminescent display, battery operation, cordless foot pedal and illuminated tip.
"For years, I've hoped to find a laser that's not only affordable but also remarkably effective at cutting soft tissues," said Dr Dan Fischer, Ultradent CEO and President. "CO2 lasers are very efficient at cutting soft tissue, but are too cost prohibitive for the average general dentist. The more affordable diode laser options are slow and sluggish, with a lot of tissue tagging. They lacked the ability and power to efficiently ablate tissue without causing excess collateral damage.
"With the Gemini 810 + 980 diode laser, I found what I was looking for. Ultradent can finally offer a diode laser that mixes super-pulsed technology with high peak power to deliver faster, smoother cutting at an affordable price point."
No matter the procedure, the innovative Gemini laser makes it faster, smoother and more efficient. A massive 20 watts of peak super-pulsed power and short pulse durations provide faster, smoother cutting with less tissue tagging.
Transparent electroluminescent display
The Gemini features sleek, innovative design with a stunning, transparent electroluminescent display that's unlike any other laser on the market.
According to Dr Joshua Austin, who reviewed the laser for Dental Economics, "The display looks like it's straight out of Star Trek. You almost have to see it to believe it. On a piece of clear glass that projects above the laser base, the wavelength setting, percentage of battery charge remaining, power meter and procedure settings are displayed with a bright orange light. There are 19 separate preset settings covering many different procedures, including everything from troughing to gingivectomy to cuspid exposure to sulcular debridement. The unit also has voice prompts, which help to get the laser up and cutting and an illuminated tip, which increases visibility in the surgical site. It's extremely easy to read and use."
Increased clinical versatility
Dual wavelength technology combines the optimal melanin absorption of the 810nm wavelength and the optimal water absorption of the 980nm wavelength. Short, efficient pulses of power allow soft tissues to cool effectively during the procedure and super-pulsed power means less charring, less thermal damage and greater patient comfort without sacrificing the speed or effectiveness of the procedure.
Renowned clinician, Dr Michael Miyasaki, said the Gemini 810 + 980 diode laser simplifies procedures such as a gingivectomy in preparation for a veneer.
"Not only do we get more predictability during the procedure and during healing when we use the Gemini laser, but we also get better patient comfort, which I think is always at the top of our minds when we're treating patients."
Convenient and easy to use
The Gemini 810 + 980 diode laser is simple to use, even if it's the first laser you've used in your practice.
"One feature I look for in a laser is portability - and by that, I don't just mean I want a laser that can be moved," Dr Austin continued. "I want a laser that is convenient and easy to move from room to room. The Gemini is just that. The rechargeable battery holds a 45-minute charge, so your assistant won't have to fiddle with a power adaptor. The foot pedal is cordless and Bluetooth-controlled, so the only cord that needs to be dealt with is the cord that connects the handpiece to the base. And the tips are preinitiated, so they are ready to use quickly. With all of these features combined, my assistant can have the Gemini in my hand in less than a minute."
The Gemini's handpiece is autoclavable and the single-use tips make sterilisation simple. The pre-initiated 5 mm tips that come in packs of 25 are ready to use. Uninitiated 7 mm tips are also available (also in a 25-pack). Both are bendable to provide better access to the surgical site.
Ultradent Gemini Diode Laser - Key features
- Dual-wavelength soft tissue diode laser - 810nm and 980nm
- 20 watts of peak super-pulsed power means faster, smoother cutting
- Sleek, innovative design features a stunning transparent electroluminescent display
- Simple user interface and 19 preset procedures enhance ease of use
- Bluetooth foot pedal allows for wireless control
- Autoclavable handpiece makes sterilisation simple
- Single-use bendable tips are pre-initiated for reduced prep time
- Tip illumination provides better visibility at surgical site
- Indications include:
- Excisional and incisional biopsies
- Exposure of unerupted teeth
- Gingival troughing for crown impression
- Gingival incision and excision
- Hemostasis and coagulation
- Implant recovery
- Abscess incision and drainage
- Laser soft tissue curettage
- Laser removal of diseased, infected, inflamed and necrosed soft tissue within the periodontal pocket
- Oral papillectomies
- Pulpotomy as an adjunct to root canal therapy
- Reduction of gingival hypertrophy
- Soft tissue crown lengthening
- Sulcular debridement (removal of diseased, infected, inflamed, and necrosed soft tissue in the periodontal pocket to improve clinical indices including gingival index, gingival bleeding index, probe depth, attachment loss, and tooth mobility)
- Treatment of canker sores, herpetic, and aphthous ulcers of the oral mucosa